Thursday, February 12, 2009

Brazil vs Italy - The Journey

I wanted to blog about the awesome football game I went to last night at the Emirates but I thought I should split it up into 2 parts. The reason is because I believe the journey there was just as eventful as the match itself.

I left work at approximately 5:40pm to meet up with some friends for dinner near the stadium at 6:15pm. Since the TFL website thinks the bus would take maximum 40 minutes from where I was I decided to take the tube which was suppose to get me there in around 20-30 minutes. All was well as I took the Northern line from Moorgate to change at Kings Cross but one stop before the change the driver announced that someone fell ill at Euston station and we would be stopping at the current station for a while. I waited patiently and not long after we started moving again. I looked at my watch and it was just before 6pm so I would still be able to arrive on time. Half way to Kings Cross the driver announced that due to an incident and overcrowding we were no longer stopping at Kings Cross and the next stop will be Euston. I thought excellent... that is exactly what I needed. When we got to Euston I walked across to the Victoria line to try to go back the other way. However, nothing was stopping at the next station and since I was going to be late I decided to go up to the street level first to give my friends a call to let them know.

After the call I attempted to go back down to the tube and by then the platform was packed and the tubes were still not moving. They then announced that Kings Cross is open again and I went on a tube to go 1 stop up so I could get on the tube going back the other way. All was fine and my tube was empty, what a clever idea I thought. When I got back to Kings Cross station the door opened and everyone got off. When I was heading for the other platform, they made an announcement to tell everyone to get out of the station because of an incident. OMFG, why didn't you tell me that before I got off the tube at the fricken station?!!?!!? I got up to the top and asked one of the staff how am I suppose to get to the Emirates? Her reply was you have to wait until the station reopens but she didn't know how long.

I then decided to walk to Euston station which is 10 minutes away on foot and take the Victoria line up to Finsbury Park and perhaps walk to the stadium from there. Luckily for me I managed to get on a tube straight away and FINALLY on my way to the game. I got off at Finsbury Park and thought about taking the tube back to Arsenal station but decided against it. I looked at my watch as I climbed the starts towards the Emirates and made it there at 7:30pm. Waited for the rest of the gang and walked through the gates just before kick off... What was suppose to be a 20 minutes journey took almost 2 hours... Longer than the game itself... @#$% London public transport system...

No comments: