Friday, September 9, 2011

Google 2-Step Verification

Nothing is too secure nowadays on the Internet so Google has introduced 2-step verification on your Google account. The link will basically tell you what you need to do to set it up and to be honest it is pretty simple. It is a bit more troublesome initially because any device/program you have setup to access your Gmail or anything that uses your Google account will have to have its password changed (once only) but it's probably worth the hassle in the long run for the extra protection.

There is a phone app that generates a random access key when you login from a new/unknown location which works pretty much like the one you get from some of the banks. I used it today when I login to my account from work and I think unless you clear your browser cookies or authenticated sessions you can have the authentication stored for 30 days (I chose not to do this at work though since it's not really my laptop).

No comments: